Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Weight loss story Transformation Tuesday with Sharna



Another phenomenal transformation. Let me introduce the lovely Sharna Weber. A young mother with a soon to be 2 year old daughter shares her story with us today.





How old are you and please can you share your health and fitness journey to date?

I am 32 years old, I have been on my real weight loss journey since the birth of my daughter in July 2011. Though was a yo-yo dieter since a teen.

What types of foods did you used to eat as a kid and young adult? What's changed since then? 

My mum was (and still is) an amazing cook and she would cook with passion and love and so our meals would be very hearty, carb loaded and never skimped on fats. Think roasts with gravy, Yorkshire pudding and roasted veggies in oil or Mum would cook a variety of cuisines and cook up a banquet lol. We also had big servings on our plates and had to eat it all. My mum would often go on diets though and we kids would also have to eat whatever was the fad at the time, so liver cleansing diet, weight watchers etc. As a young adult I would yo-yo diet constantly which I think was a habit from being on varying diets with my mum as a kid. My weight would fluctuate as I could never stick with whatever fad diet was at the time and binge eat afterwards, I was also a very emotional eater. I ate healthy 90% of the time but it was the quantity of foods I had issues with and I rarely exercised.

Now I have implemented a way of eating which I can sustain long term, also changing to grain/sugar free was the best thing for my gut health. I was always feeling bloated and having stomach aches when I would eat refined carbohydrates. It would also send me on binge frenzies, eating sugar and simple carbs would cause me to feel hungry and crave more and more.
I now follow lacto-paleo principals majority of the time but on special occasions do tend to be more lenient, though often regret it the next day when I feel crappy.

Do you play any sports or what sports do you like watching?

I used to play many sports such as netball and soccer but at the moment I don’t play any sports. Dancing has also been something I loved to do and did Salsa classes for awhile. I love to watch soccer and Crossfit Games.
To keep fit at the moment I go to gym or walks along the beach, plus my children keep me on my toes!
I would love to take up boxing, pole dancing and Crossfit when I hit one of my mini goals and possibly salsa again.

What are your interests, passion and what makes you smile?

I love cooking, it will always be my passion. I also love to bake and often make cakes for friends and family as a hobby which is bizarre as I don’t have a sweet tooth lol. Though I have become much more mindful of the ingredients I put in to my meals and often create or modify recipes to be healthy and nutritious.
One thing I am very passionate about even before I embarked on this lifestyle change is creating a chemical free environment as much as possible. I love making chemical free natural cleaning products in our house as well as skin care etc.
We very much have a green thumb in this house and love to grow organic herbs and vegetables and I think its taught my kids a lot about food, where it comes from and showing them what real food tastes like.
I have to say the thing that makes me smile the most are my children, they are rays of sunshine. I love playing outside with them, they are so active and could spend hours outside in the garden.

What was the catalyst that sparked your lifestyle change?

I have always been on a ‘diet’ my weight has fluctuated between 54kg to 75kg for over a decade, it wasn’t until I had an emergency cesarean with my first child that I became really lazy and packed on the weight. I then fell pregnant again and that’s when I hit my highest weight.

I never used to have pictures taken of myself, I hate being photographed but then I saw photos of myself holding my daughter and I realized I cannot keep going on this path of self-destruction and not being a good role model for my children. I knew then that I had to make a lifestyle change for good, not just a quick fix diet.

What are some of your dreams/goals you hope to achieve over the next 12 months?

I vowed that when I would get to under 80kg I would get out of my comfort zone and do something I have never done before, so I have now signed up for True Grit, the military inspired obstacle course in May since I have hit that mini goal.

I am hoping in the next 12 months to hit my goal weight/body image. To lower my body fat percentage to around 20%.  I have awhile to go yet on my journey but looking forward to the final stages of transformation.

What tips would you like to share with my readers about your transformation?

Consistency is key, don’t think that it’s a percentage of diet and exercise. The only percentage where you will really see results is putting 100% in to each. However if you fall off the wagon don’t beat yourself up about it, just make the next meal count.
Also learn to love and accept what you see both within yourself and on the outside no matter what stage you are in your fitness/weight goals. Accepting doesn’t mean you have to stay where you are, it means acknowledging and then working towards the best you can possibly be. Just remember you are worth it and enjoy the journey.


Thanks again Sharna for sharing your amazing transformation with us and I wish you all the success in the future. Keep up the great work! XxDani